06 March, 2007

What are the chances?

I was cruising the red carpet, enjoying a good schmooze, when an Oscar production assistant approached me with a request to help with a last minute on stage audiovisual check. (It was a scheduled union break for the technical assistants and broadcast time was near.) I'm always eager to help so I grabbed three plastic frogs from props, ran on stage and juggled while they tested camera angles, lighting, sound etc.

I was enjoying my moment on the beautiful Kodak Theater stage, confident that my choice of a burgundy velvet suit by Gucci would not be duplicated by anyone. How many times have women worn suits to the Oscars? Only a handful - I'm sure.. I was hopeful that the curse would be lifted... That finally, I would be an original. Suddenly, I was whisked off stage to Ellen's dressing room. I'm sure you know why. Seriously! What are the chances that the Oscar host and I would choose the same outfit? They trotted me down to the wardrobe and offered a lovely frock from the Marie Antoinette wardrobe collection. The model who was scheduled to wear it on stage during the best costume design nominations burst into tears. Lovely. How could I ruin her moment - no matter how small.? I ducked out the side door while they arranged for my driver to meet me next door at Grauman's.

Talk about a wardrobe malfunction.

2 comments:

Chester The Bear said...

Disgraceful.
I think everyone goign to Oscars night should be forced to wear a uniform.

Identity Crisis said...

A good idea. It would help promote equality, something supposedly important in today's Hollywood "value" system. Although, such a move may single-handedly bring the fashion industry...even world economy...to its knees.