21 January, 2006

My Interview with Mick Jagger


Prior to my full time commitment to the film industry, I had aspired to be an entertainment writer. While in Europe awaiting approval from Canadian immigration officials I worked as a freelance journalist. I was fortunate enough to spend a few moments with Mick Jagger at his country estate in England. It was an odd interview. Mick seemed a little passive aggressive. I stepped in something unmentionable and dear, sweet sympathetic Mick had a bit of a titter at my expense. Then it was over - too soon. The following is a transcript of the original recording. Not one of my best works.

We met in the rose garden and he walked me toward a rustic log chaise lounge invitingly covered in a cloud-print chintz fabric....


Memy Fandi: May I sit down?
Mick Jagger: You gotta move.
MF: Uh ok maybe here?
MJ: Get off my cloud - Some girls!
MF: Gosh, I'm sorry Mr. Jagger,...Where would you like me to sit?
MJ: Under my thumb.
MF: (he laughs and I breath a little easier) Perhaps if we walk around? You could show me the grounds...OH, are those...
MJ: Wild horses, yes.
MF: OH! NO! (I had been enjoying the horses and unfortunately stepped in a mound of cat doings.) Ahhh..My favourite shoes!
MJ: Dance little sister..You got the stray cat blues...whooodo doo doo
MF: (There is a little audible whimpering and sniffling on my part amid his teasing and laughter.)
MJ: Is this your 19th breakdown?
MF: I'm OK I just need some time to clean off my shoes.
MJ: Time is on my side.
MF: Really? How do you manage that?
MJ: A little sympathy for the devil
MF: You mean?
MJ: Oh, yeah Dancing with Mr. D
MF: Are you the...
MJ: ...Prodigal son? Yes.
MF: What about your parents?
MJ: The salt of the Earth - a street fighting man and a factory girl.
MF: Your mother was a factory girl?
MJ: Yea, crazy mama.
MF: Have you met their expectations
MJ: No expectations.
MF: How was your childhood?
MJ: Happy.
MF: Did you play a lot of games?
MJ: Tumbling dice and jigsaw puzzles.
MF: And that made you happy?
MJ: Well, later I got the blues...
MF: You don't sing the blues very often...
MJ: It's only rock and roll but I like it.
MF: ME too...
MJ: Well, if you ain't to proud to beg.
MF: You'd sing for me?
MJ: If you really want to be my friend...
MF: Could I at least wash my shoe in your fountain?
MJ: But they're torn and frayed.
MF: Yes I suppose I need new ones.
MJ: Sweet Virginia, I should say so.
MF: What are you doing? (Mick was strutting in circles around me like a crazed but proud rooster.)
MJ: Hip shake. Can you hear the music?
MF: Not really.
MJ: Just my imagination. (He stopped abruptly as a car arrived in his driveway.)
MF: It must be very satisfying to have such a good imagination.
MJ: I can't get no satisfaction.
MF: (Unfortunately, in the car was my driver. I was scheduled to meet with immigration officials and had to leave immediately. I was not able to connect with Mick to complete the interview.) How about we leave it on that note.....Thank you, so much.
MJ: 'till the next goodbye.
(I did see him at a children's charity event a few days later and only hours before I left England for Canada. He reminded me to "dance little sister" just as the above photo was taken.)

No comments: